Class Starts: TBA
Class Ends: TBA
Class Time: TBA
Cost of Materials: $75.00
Location: Izaak Walton Building, 1043 Dexter Drive, Riverside, CA 92501
Located in Fairmont Park across from the Golf Course Clubhouse
To Register: For information contact us John Walker at 909-792-2654 Preregistration is required.
Piloting is the first course in the sequence of United StatesPower Squadrons courses on navigation, covering the basics of coastal and inland navigation. This course focuses on navigation as it is done on recreational boats today and embraces GPS as a primary navigation tool while covering enough of traditional techniques so the student will be able to find his/her way even if their GPS fails. The course includes many in-class exercises, developing the student’s skills through hands-on practice and learning. Classes of two hours each normally are scheduled for presentation of this course. In addition students have seven days to complete the open book exam. Topics covered include:
- Charts and their interpretation
- Navigation aids and how they point to safe water
- Plotting courses and determining direction and distance
- The mariner’s compass and converting between True and Magnetic
- Use of GPS – typical GPS displays and information they provide, setting up waypoints and routes, staying on a GPS route.
- Pre-planning safe courses and entering them into the GPS
- Monitoring progress and determining position by both GPS and traditional techniques such as bearings and dead reckoning
- The “Seaman’s Eye” — simple skills for checking that one is on course.